Monday, April 11, 2011

Long overdue update

I'm sorry I haven't written in so long, I owe you all an update. A lot has happened.
The biggest is that I had to change communities. There was a security issue in my site, I won't go into details but basically Peace Corps and I felt there was an threat to my security in site and it would be best to leave. No worries, I am perfectly fine. It was sad to leave - I was starting to make some really good friendships and there was a good potential for work building.
So, I spent the next week travelling around and basically "shopping" for a new site. I went far down South to an indigenous community in the middle of the jungle. It was absolutely amazing. The women wore traditional dress, spoke the indigenous language (and Spanish). The area was lush jungle with small rivers threading through. Most of the time we had to traverse very sketchy hammock style suspension bridges. It was nerve racking to say the least.
As much as I loved the community I felt that it wasn't a good fit for me since I would only be there for around 10 months. They really need a 2-year volunteer who can help them really get organized and then start potential projects.
Regardless, I eventually settled on a community in the Northern Mountains of Costa Rica. The community is called Garabito and it lies about 3hrs bus ride from San Jose. The community is made up of a couple hundred community members on the slope of a mountain. Behind the community is the Juan Castro Blanco National Park - so basically the backyard is a gorgeous mountainous rainforest. The climate is pleasant and cool. It rains in the afternoon and is never too hot nor too cold.
The community used to all be coffee plantations but with the crash in prices most of the farmers got rid of their coffee. Now the community is made up of mainly day laborers that go to the nearest pueblo to work as well as a couple farmers. The area is perfect for gardens/small scale agriculture. That being said, this is still a very urban community.
I'm following up a volunteer who will be leaving in May. She has been really helpful in showing me around and filling me in on everyone/ what work has gone on here.
There is potential for work. I have an environmental group who also holds small tours for mainly American youth who want to work with me. We are talking about starting a tree nursery for reforestation purposes as well as garden projects. There are a couple families with greenhouses that are just sitting there unused and so we are going to discuss getting them back in working condition.
It's slow going. So far, though, I've been able to help two guys with biodigestors. These are small scale methane producing systems. Basically, it's a big bag filled with cow/pig poop that is sealed. The poop ferments anaerobically and produces methane which fills the bag/balloon and is then sent through tubing to serve as gas in the kitchen. They are a great way to use what is normally just left in the fields, as well as a great alternative energy source.
So, that's what's been going on. I will try to take some pictures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment